Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Title of my Map.

As we all know the emphasis of titles, allow us to have boundaries, to picture something without reading or seeing it.  Thinking about a title can sometimes be a difficult thing, we think about it because we know somehow it is going to affect the piece and the meaning it has. The title given to a piece affects the viewer's life. If you title a piece of artwork: "Stop and Look." Chances are, during the viewer's day, he or she might remember the string of words that reminder him or her to look. I thought about so many different titles: Systematical Walk, Daily Walk, Brooklyn Street, Frightening Street, but none expressed, in debt, what I felt when I walked that street every night. So here it is, my title for my map: A System of Walking: Safety in the Streets of 112-5.  112-5? Area Code in Brooklyn--(I erased a number because you never know who might see this and began to begin to stalk me around.) The streets in Brooklyn are scary enough... Why that title? Between Higgins Hall and Cannouneer Court, there is a 10 minutes walk you have to walk to get to your destination. Often, it is very late when I have to walk home and the walk home is very long and scary to me. There are no sign of danger but the stories that have been told scare you away.

1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection on titles, B. How does the title you discuss affect the things you observe in your spaces? Does your title match your current observations?

    ReplyDelete