Thursday, September 27, 2012


Bayyinah C. Pierre
Prof. Sacha Frey
Intro Lit/ Crit Arch I
September 26th 2012.
Reflection on My First Review.
Quite frankly, at the beginning of this assignment I was not certain of the verbs I wanted to pick out of the list and how I should interpret my verbs correctly.
My first model reached its height with my interpretation of the verb to gather. To gather how, was an important question. I thought about the actual meaning of the verb and tried to attach an image to it in my head. People today do not, in a sense, gather. The meaning of the verb has lost some value over the years. So I then thought about ancient civilizations. I was inspired by their desire to reach their Gods by elevating their structures to an unimaginable height for their time period.
The deformed paper took a different meaning, becoming “to gather by lifting.” The construction of my first model started with a set of ordinations A, B, and C. A being a point on the edge of the paper; B being one of the original points; and C the central, the gathering point. The distance between A and B determined the height of the triangle, and the distance between B and C determined the base of a triangle. At the end, I had multiple triangles that had to meet at a single point or area.
For my second model “To Join by Pairing,” I paired the different trials together, and connected them with lines. I didn't have a concise system per say as the first one. I constructed a very literal version of my drawing. I experimented with the different “line-weights” by relating them to the distance between the viewer’s eyes and the model. The different thicknesses translated into the distance between the lines and the dimensions of the triangles. The darker lines are closer to the eye and the lightest on ground level.



































In a nutshell, my professor loved the simplicity of my models; however, the other critic would have liked to have seen more intensity in the models. The most important feedback I got from my panel was not shy away from work, to start with the hardest ones first, and to work faster, that way I’ll forget about precision.

No comments:

Post a Comment